How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 19132
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Small Claims Lawsuit Filing Question

Customer Question

I own a nationwide mobile DJ company and I hire out independent contracted DJs often. They sign a contract with me and agree to provide DJ service for a certain event. Last week I had a DJ not show for a wedding, I am now going to have to take him to small claims to recover the money that was refunded to the client. However my company is located in Chicago and he lives in Maryland and the wedding was also in Maryland. Can I file my small claims here in Chicago or do I have to file it in Maryland since that's where the gig was and where the DJ lives?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 years ago.

I changed my mind about answering this question.

Edited by AttorneyPhillips on 6/1/2010 at 6:49 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.