How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dkennedy Your Own Question
dkennedy, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Experience:  Juris Doctorate Degree
Type Your Legal Question Here...
dkennedy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my father has 40000 in two ira cds that dont mature until

Resolved Question:

<p>my father has 40000 in two ira cd's that don't mature until august and a house would he be able to get a public defender or would the court consider that he has too much money to be offered the services of a public defender?</p><p>he was arrested in april for dwi and again in may for aggravated dwi.</p><p>he is medically in no condition to attend court and really doesn't have the money except in his ira's to pay for a lawyer he doesn't want to touch the iras.</p><p>he just wants to strike a deal with the cops to take his license for 10years , no jail time and pay his fees. he'd also like to avoid the mandatory alcohol rehabilation since he really doesn't want to pay for it he'd rather put the money towards his house taxes and medical debt. </p><p>he's medically losing his ability to use his legs and his mind is slowing from years of abusing alcohol</p><p> </p>
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  dkennedy replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
dkennedy :

Hello, He really should not try to do this himself. Too much could go wrong with this. I sympathize with him not wanting to cash in his CD's but he might be able to make a payment arrangement with a lawyer and pay monthly. He must have some kind of an income. And, just to strike a deal with the prosecutor and plead guilty, it would not cost that much.

dkennedy and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you