loeblaw
loeblaw, Attorney
Experience:  Trial Atty---NY, NJ & Fed Courts, Owner of law office for 10+ years--Recently joined this Site
17370926

What can I say to the police to get them to drop charges on

Customer Question

What can I say to the police to get them to drop charges on my boyfriend from a fight that we had...I don't want to testify...but my parents made a police report even though I'm not a minor...
Expert:  loeblaw replied 7 years ago.
You cannot "make them" drop the charges but if they are convinced it was a misunderstanding, prosecutors may not feel compelled to charge. Keep in mind that once the police are involved the decision to prosecute or not, is no longer up to you. The DA can act independently of any desire you have. Of course, you have the right not to cooperate, but if the DA does bring a case and you refuse to voluntarily testify you can be served a subpoena which can legally require you to testify or face contempt charges for refusal.

As your question has been answered, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question.. Please remember to click ACCEPT and PLEASE NOTE that BONUSES and positive feedback are GREATLY appreciated. Feel free to contact me to discuss how I can be of further assistance to you. Should you need additional information or have additional questions please feel free to send me a question personally.

NOTICE: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) We have not established an attorney-client relationship and none shall be established absent a separate agreement; (2) my communications are based upon my analysis and opinions and based upon general legal principles which may differ from the law in your jurisdiction; (3) For specific legal advise you should obtain a legal opinion and representation from an attorney in good standing licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where valid jurisdiction exists for your legal issue; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Expert:  loeblaw replied 7 years ago.
REMINDER: As your question has been answered, please click ACCEPT so that I can receive credit for the answer and you can receive credit for your question.. Please remember to click ACCEPT and PLEASE NOTE that BONUSES and positive feedback are GREATLY appreciated. Feel free to contact me to discuss how I can be of further assistance to you. Should you need additional information or have additional questions please feel free to send me a question personally.