How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had an attorney for a custody case (2yrs)and she is

Customer Question

I have had an attorney for a custody case (2yrs)and she is consistently disappearing, not returning my calls for weeks and even several months last year. DCSF is involved and found that my son's father has been sexually inappropriate with him. It is documented in their report and has been in my statements since my ex took me to court in 2008 when he got married. My attorney has disappeared and I'm wondering if I would best be served by going in pro per against my ex's attorney? What are the things to prepare for when a lay person goes against seasoned counsel?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
I do not recommend that you be pro se in this case because an attorney is trained in the operation of law so even if you were given the points to focus upon it would be very difficult to adequately prepare anyone other than another attorney to face a seasoned attorney. I suggest that if you are not happy with you attorney that you either obtain a different attorney or contact the local attorney bar association to see if they can reach out to the attorney and resolve the conflict/problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am unable to afford another attorney. I have been overwrought with health and financial issues in response to this taxing custody ordeal. I have been on state disability for a stress-related medical condition... which is now exhausted. Would I be a candidate for represntation through the state of California? If not, then all I know is that I've been treated disrespectfully XXXXX XXXXX son's welfare is at stake. The system appears broken and after turning everywhere for help, I am not any closer to resolution.
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
You would have to contact your local legal aid society to see is they would represent you for free. A person is only constitutionally required to be appointed an attorney when facing criminal matters.