Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am the only person in th marriage who worked consistently.Therefore,

Customer Question
I have been the main...
I am the only person in th marriage who worked consistently.Therefore, I have been the main breadwinner in the family, My hubby only worked on and off from time to time. Although he is not working right now and he is on disabilty for a few months only, how much alimony would I be able to get from him in a divorce? ie if he returns to work,and since he is th one that cheated in the relationhip.I am also on medicaid.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
6/1/2010
Lawyer: John Legal, Attorney replied 7 years ago
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney

Thank your for asking Just Answer,

If you are the primary breadwinner then it is possible that you will not be able to get any alimony in the event of a divorce. It may be just the opposite, you may have to pay him some alimony.

Alimony in Connecticut will be based on the following factors:

(1) The length of the marriage,

(2) The causes for the dissolution of the marriage,

(3) The age, health, station, occupation, amount and sources of income, vocational skills, employability, estate and needs of each of the parties,

(4) The property division which the court might make, and

(5) In the case of a parent to whom the custody of minor children has been awarded, the desirability of such parent's securing employment.

If either of you can show that you are in need of alimony due to the above factors, specifically those in (3), being present then the court will be allowed to award alimony.

Hope this helps. Please click Accept so that I receive credit for my response. A bonus is a great way to say "thanks."

John Legal
John Legal
John Legal, Attorney