How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I legally kick my 18 year old stepson out of the house

This answer was rated:

Can I legally kick my 18 year old stepson out of the house if he is still in high school? It is more than just disrespect he shows me by calling me the foulest names you can imagine but if I tell him to do his chores he looks at me like he wants to kill me. I do actually fear him and his dad doesn't do anything to help. He was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome (mild form of autism) when he was younger because he had some episodes where he was out of control. Attacked people, stabbed someone with a pencil when he was about 10. He's not like that anymore and he is a straight A student and got a $180,000 scholarship to Oregon State University but I can't handle him until he leaves in September. He doesn't work, never has, has no empathy and doesn't want to be told what to do. Things are really bad between us and he scares me. His mother lost custody of him in 2005 because she married a registered sex offender but she lives 8 miles away and so does his grandmother



a child is not considered emancipated even at age 18, if they are still in high school. so the answer is no. additionally, if you and the Father are on the title to the house, he has a right to allow the boy to stay.


i understand how frustrating this is for you - but legal recourse is not available. unless when he graduates HS his Father is on the same page with you. then you can both tell him he must leave.



Sam and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you