How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steinlaw Your Own Question
Steinlaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1811
Experience:  8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Steinlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have adopted my two grandchildren and was their foster mom

Resolved Question:

I have adopted my two grandchildren and was their foster mom while they were in DHS system because of my son and his wife, who later signed over their rights to let me adopt the kids. I now allow my adult son to be a part of regular family events and attend holiday get-togethers. I am also wishing to go to Europe for the summer in one year from now and want to give my adult son "power of attorney" over the two kids while I am gone in Europe. Would that make me have to deal with DHS all over again? I want to be free to be the children's "mother" as I see fit as well as be free to have my adult son in the picture without getting into trouble. Is this realistic?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
Hi JACUSTOMER-yo9lok5n-. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What city and state do you live in?
-Has the adoption been finalized?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Portland Oregon is where the adoption took place and it is finalized
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
First, congratulations on the adoption. Its a great thing.

Second, since the adoption is finalized, you do not need to get DHS involved in this. A simple power of attorney will suffice and you can go enjoy your trip!

Good luck and have a safe trip.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It seems you are not a family law specialist so i really need to be able to bank on not getting in trouble from DHS IF they ever found out about my decision to do this. Is it something that will constitute an illegality or an "unfit" choice regarding the kids? I have one other child in my home and do not want to immplicate our lives with any more DHS regulations for any one of these kids. Please direct my question to a family law specialist or expand on your answer to include potential risks (if any) I might be facing. Thank you so much.
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
You will be free of DHS. I am not a family law specialist, but I have been involved with adoptions. You are the children's parent and you can do anything you see fit as long as it does not endanger the children. If you believe that leaving them with your son would cause them or could cause them to be harmed. But as long as you don't think that, you will be fine. No one can tell you who you can or cannot leave your children with.
Steinlaw and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you