How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practing General Attorney,
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive been summoned to court on a civil action by discover card.

Resolved Question:

I've been summoned to court on a civil action by discover card. I had been working with a debt relif company for the last year to resolve the debt. What type of lawyer do i need to contact for help? or should i contact the law office that filed the court summon. Also the court date is for 5/26,and i will be out of town at work that week. How do i get the court date changed? or can i keep this from going to court?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
You should first contact the debt relief company you have worked with to find out if they have been making the payments as agreed to Discover. If you wish to retain an attorney you need to contact a Debt Management attorney which can be located either through or contacting your local attorney bar association. Either you or your attorney should contact the firm suing you to see if you can negotiate a settlement outside of court. Negotiation outside of court will keep the total cost down because it avoids the court costs of litigation. Finally contact the court to find out how the judge prefers adjournment requests (requests for a different court date), but most likely in addition to the phone call you will need to send the request to the court as well as the firm suing you.
Daniel Solutions and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you