How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons father committed suicide. He lived with his mother

This answer was rated:

My son's father committed suicide. He lived with his mother at the time. Our son is 18 years old, but has been completely cut out of everything. His grandmother refuses to give my son his father's things. His father wrote a will before taking his life, leaving everything to me. The will is signed, but not dated or witnessed. Does my son automatically inherit? Is the will legal? How do we get his things?
The will is not valid because it was just written and signed. In FL it has to have two witnesses or it is not valid. So the family is right about that. But under intestate law, ie when there is no will, his son would be his sole heir. But to enforce that right you son will have to file for probate on his father's behalf and get a court to order the family to give him all the father's assets.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How does he file for probate?
In FL you have to have an attorney file probate for you.
legaleagle and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you