How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a single parent (never married) but my sons father is

This answer was rated:

I am a single parent (never married) but my sons father is still alive. Although he is barely present in his day to day life. I would like to write a will appointing my parents as his gaurdian if something should happen to me. Would this help my parents ability to fight for full custody should something happen to me?
Yes it will. Since the father has no bond or relationship your wishes for the guardianship will give them a better chance of getting guardianship if the father tires for some reason to get custody.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How do I prove that there is no real relationship there? He has seen his son a total of two times so far this year for about an hour.

Since you would be gone you would not be able to prove that he has no bond. Your parents would have to testify that there was no relationship and their testimony is enough, plus the court can ask your son if he is old enough at the time anything should happen to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok so there is nothing to add to the will to help them fight for him like personal statements or anything. Nothing like that would help. I am just worried that he would come out of the wood work claiming i kept him away from our son and such. I want to provide as much help to my parents as I can should something happen.
You can have those statements but they do not have to be part of the Will. Anything you can provide and leave behind for them to use will be helpful.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you sooooo much. I don't expect anything to happen but in life you never know. I will feel better knowing I did everything I could to provide my son with a safe stable enviroment if the worst were to happen. Thank you again!
You are welcome.
legaleagle and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you