Cedric
Cedric, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer with several years of litigation experience in civil and criminal law.
14986957

A co-worker that was to cover for me on my leave for surgery,

A co-worker that was to cover for me on my leave for surgery, called me the day after I had my surgery to check in on me. When she called I had just gotten my pain medication and was completely out of it. She asked how I was doing and asked questions on my procedure. After talking to me she put my medical information such as the procedures I had received and the hospital I had it done in and email it to every one in our company. I did not want anyone to know I was having surgery let alone what I was having done. I didn't even tell my own mother. I am now mortified to go back to work and face everyone. Is this legal? Can I ask my work to move me to another bldg so I don't have to answer anyones questions?
It could constitute an invasion of privacy, but since you gave the information to your co-worker and she didn't make any fraudulent statements about you to co-workers, there's no specific law against what she did.

However, you can still request that you be moved to another building by your employer due to the embarrassment that has been caused by your coworker, and that would be an entirely reasonable request.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is that not a HIPAA Violation by telling the exact details of what i was having done?
No, it would only be a HIPAA violation, if your physician had reported the details of your procedure to your fellow employees.