How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34042
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i sold a business on 2/10/10 and an employee (considered former

Customer Question

i sold a business on 2/10/10 and an employee (considered former to me for new i terminated and new owner rehired on 2/11/10) on 2/12/10 decided to take a package to a fedex location and fedex a personal (non business) package using my account fedexing somthing to her son in another state for a $50 fed ex fee. when i asked her about it she refuses to acknowledge this type of theft. i have copies of her signature on the fedex slip and fedex label copy. what form of employee theft is this and how do i proceed to press charges...its come to my attention this employee was convicted of embezzement at former job as well..
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 7 years ago.
As a practical matter, I doubt you are going to be able to get the police interested in a crime with such a small loss. I imagine this I frustrating for you, but as a practical matter, the enforcement would cost many times more than the loss.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok but besides practical what about legally. what crime has been committed. and could i press charges within my rights?
the law is the law and police have to have interest if a crime has been committed expecially by a convicted criminal or is the law subjective?
Expert:  Loren replied 7 years ago.
The crime would be fraud because the employee used an account she was not authorized to use. The law is the law but the police have limited resources. The reality is that they will probably take a report but not much more.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
another attorney answer please.thx
Expert:  Loren replied 7 years ago.
If then police won't get involved you can sue in small claims court.