How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 56867
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lve in VA, purchased a home for retirement in OH from a person

This answer was rated:

I lve in VA, purchased a home for retirement in OH from a person living in NY. During the walkthru before closing it was noted that there was damage to the home caused by snow. The seller signed an addenum agreeing to submit a claim to her insurance and pay for the repairs. Two months later she has cahsed the check but no repairs have been made. What should I do?
Hello and thank you for your question.What do you want to accomplish?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I want her to have a licensed contractor come to the house and make the repairs. The way the addendum was prepared she agreed to pay for the repairs. I considered asking her to sign over the check but I don't know if it will cover the repairs. The damage was to the roof and a ceiling from melting snow getting under damaged flashing. Her insurance will only tell me that they sent over an adjuster, mailed her a check and she cashed it. I do not know the amount of that check nor what damages she was paid for.
How much in damages?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't know. It appears that the flashing will have to be replaced and they may find more water damage (possibly mold) when they start on it. The celing and wall will have to be repainted. It could be several thousand dollars. I don't know whether I should just have someone do the repairs, pay for it and then pursue her for the costs. I have no desire to get more than what is owed for the repairs.
Estimate the damages, then demand this from seller, and then sue for such amount plus costs.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where should I sue? I live in Virginia, the house is in Ohio, and the seller lives in New York.
In NY since that is where seller is located but I would first have a a lawyer reach out and try to settle.
INFOLAWYER and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you