How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask HPlawyer Your Own Question
HPlawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 874
Experience:  GA Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
HPlawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Yesterday my 10 year old son had his face grabbed by a teacher

Resolved Question:

Yesterday my 10 year old son had his face grabbed by a teacher who was angry with him. She placed a call to me and admitted she had cross the line. My son would not talk about the incident until much later.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  HPlawyer replied 7 years ago.
Wow-- I'm sorry to hear that. That is, simply put, unacceptable.

I would suggest you take two courses of action:

(1) Call the police and file an incident report. It sounds like what the teacher did is battery, and the teacher could be liable for criminal sanctions.

(2) I would find and retain a local civil litigation attorney. Civil action may be appropriate in this situation (especially if this teacher has a history of such behavior, which she may or may not have). Nonetheless, the attorney will need to do various actions, such as provide notice to this school of this incident in order to preserve your right to file a lawsuit, and at the very least, to ensure such behavior does not happen again. If the attorney does suggest filing a lawsuit, the attorney may also seek punitive damages.

Beyond that, many attorneys offer free consultations, and they would also take a case like this one on a contingency basis-- that way, the attorney would only be compensated from a portion of a settlement or judgment obtained, and you wouldn't have to pay for the attorney out of pocket. If you do want to find such an attorney, your local bar association will be a good resource.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

HPlawyer and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you