How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas
Type Your Legal Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got convicted last night of a DUI with .17-.18 results in

Resolved Question:

I got convicted last night of a DUI with .17-.18 results in state of Washington. I am planning to move to Indonesia, leaving on May 31st, for at least 6 months. This is my first offense, no priors of any kind, not even traffic warning in last 7 years.
Since this is only about 30 days from that date, will this keep me from being able to move?
Does a DUI restrict me from leaving the country till it is completed?
Do I have to be present for all hearings or can I have a lawyer stand in my place if I am out of the country?
Is it possible to extend the hearing out 6 months till I can return?
Is it possible to pay the fine, serve time and complete class requirements within 30 days of arrest?
I am not very worried about suspension of license, since I will be gone anyways. Does it help to negotiate sentence if will to do full suspension of license?
Thanks you very much for you help.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.

Since you are moving you need to notify the DA so that you can work out an agreement to allow you to leave. You can leave but if you do without completing your sentence or getting a deal to serve it when you return, then you will be in violation or any probation and when you do return you will be arrested for fleeing and violating the probation. You do not have to be present at all hearings, your attorney can appear on your behalf by themself. It is possible to get the hearing set out for 6 months (you said you were convicted but I guess you mean that you were arrested and now you are awaiting your fate from a hearing). Since it is a first offense you may get up to 24 months probation. Now if you took jail time you may be able to pay your fine and serve 14-21 days in jail and be free and clear, or you can try to get probation that would start when you return.

legaleagle and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you