How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a way to stop someone from harassing me via email

Customer Question

Is there a way to stop someone from harassing me via email? She did it till I blocked her. Now every so often she'll get someone else to email me with the same harassment. How can I stop her?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 7 years ago.

Hello there:


have you considered getting a restraining order against the perpetrator? A restraining order will be granted where someone has undertaken a campaign of behavior that serves no legitimate purpose other than to harass, annoy, stalk, bother, etc. and it makes continuing in the behavior a criminal offense. It is pretty sad because it sounds like she may suffer from some mental health issues, but my guess is that a restraining order would do the trick. You can get one by contacting your local courthouse and requesting a "restraining order" packet (in some states, it is called a "protective order").


Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is it possible to get the restraining order when all I know is her first and last name and her husband's email address? Also, how much would it cost me to get one.



Expert:  Brandon M. replied 7 years ago.

do you know how to locate the woman?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No, I don't. This all started when I adopted a cat from her that she no longer wanted. As it turned out, no matter what I tried, the cat would not stop urinating and messing in the house (he was neutered and declawed so was strictly indoors). So I put him up for adoption on Craig's List and he was soon thereafter adopted by a family that he seemed to be very happy with because they told me later that they were extremely happy with him and have had no problems. As soon as this woman that I had gotten him from found out (from seeing my ad) that I had gotten rid of him, she started this harassment. At one point she was trying to threaten me with a law suit because I had changed his name from the name that she had been callling him!


I have blocked I can't remember now how many email addresses starting with hers and continuing with everyone she gets to email me after that. This began almost a year ago and I received another one from her "husband" today. I need help to put a final stop to her harassment.

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 7 years ago.

You can get a restraining order against her without knowing her physical address, but it is not quite as easy because she will need to be served with a copy of the complaint. I would suggest that you consider hiring a private detective to find her for purposes of service.


That said, if you cannot find her, you can serve her by publication. Service by publication is basically where you get permission from the court to run an ad in the newspaper announcing your intent to pursue the complaint. If she fails to respond, the court will still award the order.


The basic cost is less than $100; obviously, if you have to get a private investigator, run a newspaper ad, or get the assistance of an attorney, costs will go up.


I hope that this helps. Let me know if there is anything else that I can help with.