How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am following up my questions to DCrane law any update

Resolved Question:

i am following up my questions to DCrane law?

any update ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.



DCrane does not appear to be online at the moment. However, I may as well tell you that his previous answer to you concerning your interlocutory appeal is incorrect, in my opinion.


The following statement of law, from United States v. Becker, 929 F.2d 442 (9th Cir. 03/29/1991), on the issue of an interlocutory appeal of a denial of a motion to suppress is the current precedent in the Ninth Circuit:


  • "As a general rule, an order by a district court denying or granting a motion to suppress is not an appealable final order under 28 U.S.C. § 1291. Such an order is 'but a step in the criminal case preliminary to a trial thereof,' and is thus interlocutory." People of the Territory of Guam v. Mafnas, 721 F.2d 683, 685 (9th Cir. 1983) (quoting DiBella v. United States, 369 U.S. 121, 131, 7 L. Ed. 2d 614,XXXXX 654 (1962)). See DeMassa v. Nunez, 747 F.2d 1283, 1286 (9th Cir. 1984); In re Search Warrants (Executed on January 23, 1983), 750 F.2d 664, 666-68 (8th Cir. 1984).

Note: I don't know why DCrane answered you as he/she did. However, I decided to answer you here, because as this is apparently a criminal law matter, and as your liberty interests may be in jeopardy, I don't want you confused about your rights.


Just in case you decide you need a lawyer, for a criminal defense attorney referral, see:


Hope this helps.


NOTICE: Due to overwhelming customer demand for my time, I am forced to limit our correspondence to only one follow-up question per session. If you are on a subscription plan, this does not prevent you from asking new questions for the same subscription fee. It only means that you must open a new question to continue our conversation. You are welcome to open a new question and preface it with my userid: “To Socrateaser…{question text}.”

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Edited by socrateaser on 5/1/2010 at 3:35 AM EST
socrateaser and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Socrateaser


in due respect to DCrane his original answer was he said YES, i can appeal the district court order. And that seems to be the conclusion on US v Becker


I may have confused you on my follow up question that the US atty was saying I cannot make an interlocutory appeal.


Please clarify, can I or I cannot file an appeal on the district court order?

Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Only the U.S. Government can make an interlocutory appeal from a suppression motion favoring the defendant. The defendant cannot appeal. 18 U.S.C. § 3731.

Edited by socrateaser on 5/1/2010 at 4:26 AM EST
socrateaser and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.



After the district judge overruled my motion to suppress - i do not feel comfortable with him anymore what are my options?

Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.
Per website policy, to receive an answer to your question, you will have to open a new question on the homepage. If you would like me to answer the new question, you may request my assistance by prefacing your question with my userid: “To Socrateaser....”
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

To Socrateaser


After the district judge overruled my motion to suppress I do not feel comfortable with him anymore, what are my options?