i have a pomeranian that barks occassionally when someone comes…

Customer Question
i have a pomeranian that...
i have a pomeranian that barks occassionally when someone comes near my door. a neighbor left an anonymous threatening note on my door about the barking. what is the law regarding owning a dog in a new york city apartment that allows dogs of all breeds in the buiilding? this is the 2nd time that someone left an anonymous note and i'm afraid of threat of eviction. what is my next step in protecting myself?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
4/23/2010
Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer
Thank you for contacting our JA team.

Since the dog is on the property in accordance with the lease, then complaining to the landlord is unlikely to result in any action against you. That is likely why the individual(s) resorted to leaving the note on your door.

Their proper course of action would be to sue you for nuisance if the dog is creating a nuisance for them. They would have to prove to the court that it is interfering with their property rights.

Since you do not know who it is, you cannot obtain a restraining order against them. You could, however, set up surveillance so you can find out who it is that is coming to your door. Then you could file a petition for a restraining order against them in the local state court.

If the note is threatening, I would file a police report and provide them with a copy of the note so it is well documented.

Please let me know if you need clarification by pressing the "Reply" button. If you press "Relist", I will not be notified that you have requested my assistance.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

Tina G

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. It is strongly recommended that you seek representation by a local attorney for all legal matters. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Since I have no control over the development of the law, I ask you not to hold that against me. Please remember that I may not have critical facts concerning your situation unless you provide them to me. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.

Tina, Lawyer