How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dkennedy Your Own Question
dkennedy, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Experience:  Juris Doctorate Degree
Type Your Legal Question Here...
dkennedy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I cash a check made out to our corporation (no longer

Customer Question

How can I cash a check made out to our corporation (no longer in business) in care of me? I was secretary/treasurer of the corp., my husband (the president) is deceased, and this is a settlement check from a class action suit for illegal activities during the period the corporation was in business. Chase bank says I must have a license that is current? Is this true of all banks in this state...or just the big one?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  dkennedy replied 7 years ago.

Let me ask you a few questions.

Did you actually dissolve the corporation, or just cease doing business?

Who was the registered agent for the corporation?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did not dissolve the corporation, but just stopped renewing the business license (in 1989). My husband was president and manager of the corporation (I no longer have those papers) and it was developed with the Logan & Foltz group and registered in the state of WA. I was secretary and treasurer and did some of the bookwork and correspondence. Following Joe's death, I kept the store (Redmond Tire & Wheel, Inc.) open for two years. No one questioned my right to do that. This is a community property state so there was no probate. I am surviving widow and a corporate officer. Exxon and the Allataph group of lawyers recognized that I (along with many hundred others) had a legitimate claim to the money asked for in the the class action settlement. Exxon had over-charged it's stations on gas purchases from 1983 until 1988 or 89. Joe died in 1984, I managed the station for two years before closing it and returning to teaching and raising our eight children.

The check is made out to Redmond Tire & Wheel, INC, c/o Carol Jez
Expert:  dkennedy replied 7 years ago.
Hello again,

If you did not dissolve the corporation, it could either be still active or possibly inactive. I could not find the name as opened, closed, active or inactive in the Washington Secretary of State corporation search. But, just because the business is not active, does not mean the corporation has to be "gone." If it is listed, you can have any number of businesses under the corporation, or none, if you want. Like I said though, I couldn't find it. I suggest you locate and if necessary, activate the corp, Then, just get yourself a business license. It seems fairly easy and inexpensive.

You can then go to the Chase Bank with your Business License and get the money. Here is the info to get the license:

How to file

There are 3 ways to file the Master Business Application and supplemental forms:

File online

  1. Complete a Master Business Application online.
  2. Pay with a MasterCard, Visa, or American Express credit or debit card (gift cards cannot be used).

Filing online isn’t recommended for some businesses. See the list of businesses that shouldn’t file a Master Business Application online for details.

File by mail

  1. Complete the Master Business Application and any supplemental forms that apply to your business. To find out which supplemental forms you’ll need, see the Business Licensing Guide.
  2. Send your completed application, supplemental forms, and a check or money order payable to “Washington State Treasurer” for the fees to:
    Master License Service
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9034
    Olympia, WANNN-NN-NNNN

File in person

Visit any business licensing office.

What is the fastest way to file?

Your application will be processed more quickly if you file online. Applications filed in person take about the same amount of time to process as those filed by mail.

Edited by dkennedy on 4/21/2010 at 4:10 AM EST