How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 13 yr old daughter was at a birthday party and they had

Resolved Question:

My 13 yr old daughter was at a birthday party and they had a zipline in their backyard. The adults were in the house allowing the children to play on this zipline unsupervised. While riding the zipline across the backyard, it became stucka dn another chld tried to help my daughter off the seat. It flew up and hit her in her mouth, breaking both of her two front teeth. She had to have a root canal on each tooth and has permanent crowns on them now. The home owners insurance had $1,000 medical coverage and they have reimbursed me. The total cost out of pocket was $1920 and $460 for my time off from work. The liability portion of the home oweners insurance is willing to pay me the $920 balance and possibly my wages. My daughters teeth will NEVER be the same. This is something that will affect her the rest of her life. What can I ask for monetarily without being unreasonable?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

Personal injury lawyers will usually base the sought amount on the amount of the medical damages multiplied by some amount between 2 and 10 times depending on the severity of the injury and the length and nature of any resulting disability. Once that amount is reached then any further damages (including loss of earnings, costs and expenses) are added.


If this case came into my office I would probably look for a recovery somewhere in the $5000 to $7500 amount. However, I am in Tennessee and I strongly recommend placing a phone call to a local lawyer. California is a very diverse state and some areas are relatively conservative (with lower jury awards) and some are much more liberal (with more generous jury awards). Only a local practitioner can give you that insight and help you base your demand on a realistic recovery potential.


Please reply if I can help further.



Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

Edited by JD on 4/9/2010 at 2:56 AM EST
JD and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you