How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalEase Your Own Question
LegalEase, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 897
Experience:  Experience in Family law, Wills and Estate Planning
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalEase is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and i broke up a year ago because i found out that not

Resolved Question:

My ex and i broke up a year ago because i found out that not only was he cheating on me but was still married to his ex and lied about it... when i tried giving it back he told me to keep it sell it whatever i wanted since he bought it for my hand he didn't want it. now a year later he asked me about it and i dont have it because of certain reasons... what should i do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalEase replied 7 years ago.
Are you talking about a ring? You refer to "it" so I'm assuming it's a ring. Was it an engagment ring or just a piece of jewelry?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sorry it was an engagment ring.
Expert:  LegalEase replied 7 years ago.
Current TN case law states that the ring is supposed to go back to the person who gave it.

HOWEVER, since you tried to offer it back and then he insisted you keep it, the facts are slightly different. Do you have any record of him telling you that you could keep it, an email perhaps? If you tried to offer it back and he refused, then that's a different situation than if you refused to give it to him back when the engagement was broken.

He could try to sue you for what the ring was worth, but he might not prevail since he told you that he didn't want it back and that you could sell it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i have no writen statement but i have all documents for the ring.

Expert:  LegalEase replied 7 years ago.
If you tell him you no longer have the ring in your possession, his only option is to sue you for the value of the ring, or what he paid for it at least. If he does that, you can make the case that he told you to sell it. But that's his remedy and then it would be up to the Judge to determine if his telling you to sell the ring waived his right to have the ring back at the end of the engagement.
LegalEase and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you