How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We owned a business for 3 1/2 years as a subcontractor in the

Customer Question

We owned a business for 3 1/2 years as a subcontractor in the construction industry and rental service. On February 8, 2010 we signed the business back to the original owner, due to having more out go than income. He in turn sold the business to another business in town. Our bank is now telling us that we can not deposit checks with the business name on them into our account. We opened the account under our inc. dba. I am still collecting on receivables due us for services preformed before signing the business back and they are sending checks with the business name on them. What can we do so that we can deposit the funds due us? We live in OR.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
The bank is correct. You sold the business and the business name and can no longer use that designation. This should have been taken care of by your attorney in the transfer of the business. Now your only choice is to get new checks issued in a new name or get the party that now owns the name to deposit them for you and refund you the money.