How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can grandparents obtain temporary custody of a child if the

Resolved Question:

can grandparents obtain temporary custody of a child if the childs parents are fighting over the child and cannot decide what to do ----- and each parent is moving to a different state due to the military
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 7 years ago.

Hello there:


unless the children are being abused or neglected, there is no legal basis for a grandparent to gain custody of their grandchild. It is possible for parental in-fighting to rise to the level of child abuse or neglect, but that is typically an extreme situation and a tough-sell. Of course, if the parents voluntarily relinquish the children, there is no legal issue.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
one more question--- what if there is emotional and mental abuse in the situation?? the mother and child have endured this for years and she has hesitated to do anythign about it or report it due to the fact that the dad is in the military ---- and now he is the one fighting to get primary custody --- we do not feel the child will be completely taken care of by him and so we wondered about stepping in and getting custody ---- and the mother has asked us to do tha-t-- only we do not know if we are able to even fight him on this
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 7 years ago.

Hello again:


if you are advocating for the mother, the better option is to stand behind her in dad not getting the kids. If she wants to surrender the kids to you but she is unable to prove her case against the dad, he would have an argument that she really doesn't want them that badly.

Brandon M. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you