How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7415
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have purchased a parcel of land at a tax sale. I find that

Resolved Question:

I have purchased a parcel of land at a tax sale. I find that a portion of a house is on the property. The rest of the house is on the neighboring parcel of land.

Can I demand from the house owner the removal of that house portion or the payment of ground rent?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 7 years ago.

Having a home sitting on more than one parcel of land is very risky. My guess is that a CA real estate lawyer is going to tell you that you cannot enforce the removal of the home or collect ground rent. What you have bought is a cloud on the title to that home. The homeowner is never going to be able to sell or mortgage his home as long as you hold title to a small piece of it, so sooner or later he will have to negotiate with you to re-purchase it . That is, unless he has some legal defense to the tax sale. You are probably going to spend a considerable amount of time in court defending your purchase.

Please click on the green ACCEPT button so that I will be compensated for this answer. Bonuses for quick and helpful responses are very appreciated. If you have any follow up question feel free to ask it. No attorney-client relationship is created by this answer.

Irwin Law and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you