Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

collected over 6000 dollars in unemployment checks in queens

Customer Question
nyc. Just got a letter...
collected over 6000 dollars in unemployment checks in queens nyc. Just got a letter from dept of labor investigations. what kind of trouble am i in?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
4/1/2010
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 7 years ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Hello and thank you for your question. If you need more details after you read my answer, click reply (not relist) & I will gladly respond. did you get benefits not entitled to?
yes
You should then work out a return of the money by payment plan if needed.

will i face criminal charges? jail time? I forgot to write in my original question , that i was EMPLOYED for the time period I collected the 6000 dollars. or is it as simple as paying back the money by payment plan? i'm reading all these things about 3rd degree grand larceny and i am very concerned,

It is not likely unless you did so intentionally to defraud. Intent is hard o prove to offer a payment plan, preferably through counsel.
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
INFOLAWYER, Attorney