How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am web designer. I have a client in California who hasnt

This answer was rated:

I am web designer. I have a client in California who hasn't paid me for more than
6 months (roughly $7000). I tried everything to get him to pay me but in vain. I am based in Canada. What are my options? ( i don't mind losing most of it if I can recoup the money just for principle )

( I travel to California often so going to court wouldn't be an issue)

Thanks for the help. I am exasperated.

Hello there:


there is no reason that you could not handle this case in California small claims court. The limit for recovery in California small claims is $7,500, so you are eligible to recover the entire amount. The cost of filing is approximately $60, which you can also recover. It does not matter that you are a Canadian citizen, as long as the client is based in California.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.

Brandon M. and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you