How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alexia Esq. Your Own Question
Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 13555
Experience:  19 Years of Legal Practice Experience in this precise field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alexia Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Arizona My mom had a baloon payment due on a empty land mortgage

This answer was rated:

My mom had a baloon payment due on a empty land mortgage in 2003. She refinanced and has been making all payments on time the last 7 years of $200/mo.. The new mortgage comp is saying they have no record of a refinance and her loan is now in default 7 years of made payments later and no mention of this baloon payment since she handled it 7 years ago. They are threatining foreclosure if she does not refinance. Can they do that 7 years of made payments after the fact? And if so can she sue for the 7 years of payments since this 2003 baloon payment was upposedly handled?
David and MOM

Hi guys


Mom, this is crap. Parson my need to get your refinance papers together to prove you have a refi contract. It will greatly help to also get copies of the 7 years of checks you sent. Fortunately, if you lost them, your bank will have them and while it will likely charge a fee to get them, it is not too crazy, relatively. Once you have your proofs, send a letter showing your proofs (copies only!). Tell them that if they foreclose and or otherwise make defamatory statement against you, false statements of non-payment - you will have no choice but to sue for defamation, in addition to violations of the Fair Credit Reporting Agency (FCRA) if they defame you to the Credit Reporting agencies. Be sure to always send any mail to them certified r.r.r. and to follow up all phone calls with a confirming letter, also cert. r.r.r. If they ignore and file for foreclosure, you can get it dismissed and can likely file a counterclaim for all of these things - and use an attorney, because FCRA provides that they will have to pay attorneys fees for your troubles.


Get your justice, I can't stand that things like this are happening to people who are actually paying appropriately.



Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. If you need more detail, please click Reply, not ReList and I will gladly respond. Also, if you exceeded the one question one answer standard, and the expert provided you with answers to your additional questions, BONUS is an appreciated way of saying thank you! This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!


I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks


S. Joy, Legal Expert



My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for good answer.

Mom is here with me. Says she hasn't found refi papers from the 2003 refi I mentioned but does remember the lady she did it with. So lets say she cant find them (which I think we will be able to), but just for arguments sake can they enforce this? And wouldnt they have to pay her back the 7 years of payments (which she has proof of) if they insist on refinancing (because they admitted it would cost a couple thousand to refi. on top of all this mess)

Thanks again!!!

David and Mom

I think they she has terrific avenues to fight a foreclosure, not the least of which is they never made a peep about the $200 payments for 7 years, tending to show that the ballon mortgage was refinanced. Now, whether they can foreclose otherwise, may depend on whether her paperwork allows for it - if no power of sale is present in the mortgage or deed of trust, then they will have to file in court for a judicial foreclosure, which may implicate a statute of limitations, whereas if they have the right for a non-judicial foreclosure (power of sale is in the paperwork), it is generally understood that there is no SOL.


And yes, absolutely they would have to provide credit for the $200/mo they have had.


I do hope that you find that refi material! Consider also looking at the checks written - did you put loan number on them? In the memo? Because the new refi would have a different loan number than the old one. Check that out - the company could then look to see what that loan number is XXXXX if they refuse, bu tyou see that in Xmonth of 2003 she was sending to Y loan, and the next month and thereafter to Z loan #, clearly that would tend to show that something occurred, supporting her argument of refi. Just an extra idea!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.



This mortgage/deed of trust is found where exactly? (what company has it?-Title company?)

Your awesome, Thanks

Hi Jac,


If you know the title company, that would be a great place to ask, yes. I would also think it would be recorded? WIth the county?

Alexia Esq. and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you