How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JaxLawyer Your Own Question
JaxLawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 259
Experience:  Over eight years of practice in several practice areas.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JaxLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being sued in small claims court for refusing to pay the

This answer was rated:

I am being sued in small claims court for refusing to pay the balance of $500 to a contractor for poor work in repairing my basement after water damage. For the most part all I have are pictures of his poor work...wholes in the walls, bad paint job, no insulation in certain areas and the mess he left behind. Will this be enough to support why I didn't pay him? If this isn't enough what else should I try and get to support my case?


Yes, pictures of the poor work done should be enough to convince a judge that the contractor shouldn't be paid. But if not, there isn't much you can do. The judge will explain to you the procedure to appeal (if any) but for $500 it really isn't worth it, you would pay more to appeal it.


At small claims court, most people aren't represented by an attorney so the judges aren't as strict about the rules and procedure.


** If my answer has been helpful, please click on the green Accept button. If you need further clarification please feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would also like to counter sue the contracter for $600, which is the amount I had to pay to have his work this a good idea?

Yes, you can definitely add that to the case. It won't hurt your case any. It would also be good for you to either ask the contractor who did the work to appear as a witness to the poor workmanship of the first contractor, or at least give a sworn statement (a statement that is notarized) saying that he had to correct work that was below normal standards.
JaxLawyer and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you