How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lady Themis Your Own Question
Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 7751
Experience:  General practice experience in many areas of law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lady Themis is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can i change my name legally back to my maiden name without

Resolved Question:

How can i change my name legally back to my maiden name without a divorce?

I changed my name to his after marriage under some duress. I would like to change back to my maiden name but i have been told i can't without a divorce. Can a lawyer handle this? is it just red tape? Im so confused why I just cant have my real name back. :(
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.


North Carolina law allows a person to petition the superior court for a change of name "for good cause shown." N.C. Stat. Section 101-2. The clerk must order the name change if he finds that there is good and sufficient reason for the change. There are no laws defining what constitutes good cause, but if you initially changed your name under duress, that may certainly qualify.


If you are not having any luck filing the application yourself, you should contact an attorney.


Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Lady Themis and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your speedy answer. Im guessing his family badgering the heck out of me will not really be duress enough. I had NO idea that getting your real name back would not be possible. :( Also dont think... i just want my REAL name back will be a "good enough cause" for them.

thank you again!!
have a good day
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 7 years ago.

If this is important to you, I definitely suggest seeing an attorney to help you out. It may be possible.


Best of luck to you.

Edited by Lady Themis on 3/25/2010 at 5:07 PM EST