How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 42212
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How long does it take for a Motion to compel to enter the court

Resolved Question:

How long does it take for a Motion to compel to enter the court system once filled, and be ruled on by a judge? (State of Georgia, civil court.)
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question.Once you file it here and serve it on other side you need to contact the court here by letter and ask for a setting here or see if they have ruled on it as per the rule..The court should set the matter upon request or rule.The corut woudl sned out notice to all parties and you have hearing if they don't just rule on it.


Rule 6. Motions in civil actions.

Rule 6.1. Filing.

Rule 6.2. Reply.

Rule 6.3. Hearing.

Rule 6.4. Failure to make discovery and motion to compel discovery.

Rule 6.5. Motions for summary judgment.

Rule 6.6. Time for filing summary judgment motions.

Rule 6.7. Motions in emergencies.

Rule 6.1. Filing.

In civil actions every motion made prior to trial, except those consented to by all parties, when filed shall include or be accompanied by citations of supporting authorities and, where allegations of unstipulated fact are relied upon, supporting affidavits, or citations to evidentiary materials of record. In circuits utilizing an individual assignment system, the clerk shall promptly upon filing furnish a copy provided by the attorney of such motions and related materials to the judge.

Rule 6.2. Reply.

Unless otherwise ordered by the judge, each party opposing a motion shall serve and file a response, reply memorandum, affidavits, or other responsive material not later than 30 days after service of the motion. [In state court, see State Court Rule 6.2.]

Rule 6.3. Hearing.

Unless otherwise ordered by the court, all motions in civil actions, including those for summary judgment, shall be decided by the court without oral hearing, except motions for new trial and motions for judgment notwithstanding the verdict.

However, oral argument on a motion for summary judgment shall be permitted upon written request made in a separate pleading bearing the caption of the case and entitled "Request for Oral Hearing," and provided that such pleading is filed with the motion for summary judgment or filed not later than five (5) days after the time for response.

Rule 6.4. Failure to make discovery and motion to compel discovery.

(A) Motions to compel discovery in accordance with O.C.G.A. § 9-11-37 shall:

(1) Quote verbatim or attach a copy as an exhibit of each interrogatory, request for admission, or request for production to which objection is taken;

(2) Include the specific objection or response said to be insufficient;

(3) Include the grounds assigned for the objection (if not apparent from the objection); and,

(4) Include the reasons assigned as supporting the motion. Such objections and grounds shall be addressed to the specific interrogatory, request for admission, or request for production and may not be made generally.

(B) Prior to filing any motion seeking resolution of a discovery dispute, counsel for the moving party shall confer with counsel for the opposing party in a good faith effort to resolve the matters involved. At the time of filing the motion, counsel shall also file a statement certifying that such conference has occurred and that the effort to resolve by agreement the issues raised failed. This rule also applies to motions to quash, motions for protective order and cases where no discovery has been provided.

Edited by RayAnswers on 3/23/2010 at 6:00 PM EST
Ray and 15 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you