How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bappelman Your Own Question
Bappelman, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 313
Experience:  Licensed Attorney in Illinois and Wisconsin
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Bappelman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We live in CA. I am married and I have poor credit due to my

This answer was rated:

We live in CA. I am married and I have poor credit due to my strokes and hospitalization and not being able to work. I am on disability income. We can not pay the overdue medical expense. My husband is retired military and works part-time as a computer consultant. He does not make alot of money either. My question is if we are able to find a house, could he just be put on the loan, without me so my poor credit is not used. Thank you so very much.

The answer is yes, you could arrange it so that he is the only one on the home loan. Many people do this set up when one has a poor credit rating.

The only issue is that the bank will only be looking at his income. So he has to make enough money by himself to qualify for the loan.

Good Luck!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
After he gets the loan and we are living in the house, can my name be put on it, so if he passes away, God forbid, will I be able to continue living in the house and have it in my name since we are married? thank you
Thanks for the reply.

What you are talking about is having your name placed on the Title of the house, not the loan.

If your name is XXXXX XXXXX title then you are a part owner of the house. This does not require that you be on the loan. The loan sets up who owes the money for the house.

If he dies and you are on the title you would be allowed to remain in the house, as long as his estate could pay off the loan. If his estate is not big enough to pay off the loan, the bank could foreclose on the house, and force you to sell the house to pay off the remainder of the loan.

Please hit the Accept button so that I will get credit for helping you.

Bappelman and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you