How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 102143
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Class Member of a federal Class Action lawsuit. A proposed

This answer was rated:

I am a Class Member of a federal Class Action lawsuit. A proposed Settlement Agreement is to be heard by the Court.
I have filed a pro se objection to the Settlement Agreement and will appear at the hearing, and I am the only one that will appear pro se.
I am not allowed to represent other people but quite a few of my fellow Class Members want the judge to know that they agree with and support my objection. These Class Members are fellow retirees from the defendant in the case. They are wide spread geographically and my contact with them is mostly via email. I am in close proximity to the court and most of them are not.
What can I do to help them formally support my objection without me being perceived as trying to represent them?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Do you mean they WANT to be there, but physically cannot? That's the only reason they are not filing the motion with you?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I filed the objection first and later informed the others and emailed a copy. It is not practical for all of these Members to drive to Indianapolis from the Louisville area, Tennessee, Florida et al
Sure. This might sound funny, but Amend the Motion to include all of them. Have as many sign as possible. When at the hearing, you can just say "Your honor, we are all retirees. We all filed this motion, but most of us, well, all of us, could not be here today. I am here, and regardless of them not showing up, I am here to argue my case. You may disregard their inclusion as a party, but please let the Court heart my argument since I am here."Two birds with one stone.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ORANGE ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you