Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

i am being charged with rape and moleston how do i help my

Customer Question

i am being charged with rape and moleston how do i help my self and what is going to happen? It happened a year ago but they are saying i touched her breast in jan of this year witch is not true. The girl that is saying i raped her is 16 and i am 19. I did not have sex with her and then her sister who is 18 is saying i molested her 3 years ago witch is not true. I am adopted and this is my "sisters" saying this. It is all just word of mouth. I don't know what to do I am lost in the whole law system. It is also in the district juvenile court. This is the information they have me on the protective order. I did not go to the hearing for that. It also says I have a sheriffs case open #10-12604. A prosecuting attorney called me and wanted a statement witch I told her I would not say anything unless my lawyer was present. I don't have a lawyer so she said she would send it to the DAs office and get charges. That is all the information I have at this time
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
Hi,You didn't have to open a new question. But it's ok. What exactly is your question here - how to get a free lawyer? Or what?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am wondering how to fight it and if they can even charge me on word of mouth and not having any physical evidence? Also what is going to happen from here and how do I get a free attorney and if it is better to pay for a attorney. I can make payments to one but I cant pay a lot up front.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
It's always better to get a private attorney. They will assign you one if you cannot afford it, but if you can, get one.They will have to prove it "beyond a reasonable doubt." If you feel you can win and if they have little evidence, go to trial. If not, then make a deal with the DA. What else do you want to know?

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ORANGE ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What kind of evidence would they need to charge me with this?
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
That's hard to say. It's subjective. Word of mouth of the alleged victim is often enough to charge, but hardly enough to convict. A good case by the DA would need some physical evidence. If they don't have that, I highly suggest challenging it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I guess now I need to ask what physical evidence would they need to convict me? Thank you for your help by the way!
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
No problem. Well DNA would be good, but this was 3 yrs ago, so that's not going to happen. They really have nothing but her word, and any decent defense attorney would win the case, just by asking "what took you so long to say anything since this happened?"