How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.Hazelbaker Your Own Question
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4385
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
J.Hazelbaker is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am a woman and i was in a relationship with a woman... we

Customer Question

i am a woman and i was in a relationship with a woman... we have been broken up for a while now... before we were friends, but now we are not and no longer even speak... two years ago, we got into a verbal altercation and she said she was going to call the police if i didnt leave... i said "no ur not" and she dialed 911... i immediately left... then, when i saw her again, she said she put a warrant out for my arrest... i said "for what!? i didnt do anything!! they cant do that! i wasnt there!"... oh but they did... and it was for domestic simple battery!!! i didnt touch her!! i wasnt even there!! i left!! i found this out when i got pulled over for a routine traffic stop due to my headlights not being switched on... they ran my name and the warrant popped up... im wondering what the hell to do bc im a student, i have no dispensable let alone disposable income to spend on a lawyer... and i didnt do anything! i went to court and there was no disposition on my case and it was reset.. help
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 7 years ago.
What state did this occur in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 7 years ago.
You can challenge the protection order and seek to vacate the warrant. You will need an attorney to do this. There are three primary options for free or low-cost legal representation.

First, since you have been charged with a DV crime, you have a right to court-appointed counsel, should you qualify. You can contact your local public defender's office to inquire about eligibility and fill out applications.

There are non-profit legal service agencies in Louisiana. They provide free to low-cost legal services under certain conditions. Here is a link to start with:

Finally, many schools have a "student legal services" program where you can get free legal counsel. You can "google" the name of your school and the phrase "student legal aid" to see if you school has a program.

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.