Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

is it legal to import tobacco products such as glass pipes

Customer Question
or glass water pipes from...
is it legal to import tobacco products such as glass pipes or glass water pipes from other countries? the same items you would find in a typical smokeshop.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
3/1/2010
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Yes, it is. While it is legal overall, you MAY have it confiscated if it looks too much like a bong. The gov retains authority to do so, but rarely enforces it if you say it's a "souvenir."

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ORANGE ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

so if they confiscated it could i be charged with anything? it looks like a bong about as much as every water pipe that is being sold in smokeshops

No, and frankly, they almost never confiscate it, but if they find one, you better believe they'll do an extra diligent search to see if you brought anything back from Amsterdam.

well they wont be on my person, if you mean they will search me dilligently? i have been shipping them to my house and out of the blue, one of the packages was siezed by customs. what should i do?
Oh, I thought you meant bringing it with you when you're coming in. Don't do anything. There's nothing really you can do. If you don't have a credit card trail, just deny it's yours. While you didn't break the law, they may destroy it. They won't charge you with anything though.

well actually i'm not worried about getting it back, it's only 20 pcs, but...

should i clean house?? is that enough to get a warrant?

and i want to import more, is this a bad idea? because there is lots of profit that losing a few here and there wont matter.

Yeah, I'd clean up a bit, you now what I mean? It IS enough to get a warrant. It IS a bad idea to import more - probable cause of a search warrant with every shipment.I mean, the chances of them acting are about 10%, but if they do, you're charged....FEDERALLY.

ok i should clean it up..

as for importing more, is there any possible way to make this work? im looking at 200k profit a year if there is some way to make this legitamate.

if not i'll just stop it outwright, becuase it's not worth it

Do you own a smoke shop, or are you playing middleman?
middle man
Oh, it's not worth it. With every shipment, you'd increase chances of a warrant and a search, and also, they'd eventually search your next of chain. Ever wonder why about 90% of smoke shops last 5 years or less? Sooner or later, they all get forced out of business by authorities. Seriously.

sorry if im being a pest... but even if they got a search warrant and found a clean house, what would be the harm in that?

also, i didn't know smokeshops would get forced out by authorities, in the 10+ years i've lived in my town, i have never seen any shut down, only seen new ones go into business

You're not being a pest.Well, they can be stringent if you are suspected of selling anything illegal. In Texas, for example, they take a dim view of smoke shops. May be different where you are.IF YOU DON'T MIND THE RISK of a raid or two a year, go for it. Just make sure to keep it clean then.

ok, one last question.. how could i find a lawyer locally that could help me with this subject?
What state are you in?
arizona
I'd like to refer you to the AZ Bar's Referral program. The program is free. The attorneys are vetted, qualified, and affordable. If memory serves me right, you also get a free consultation once you are matched up with an attorney from the category that you need (or at least the consultation is very cheap - I know this for a fact). The link to the Bar's referral service is below.http://www.azbar.org/LegalResources/findlawyer.cfm

Ely, Counselor at Law