How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawdoctor Your Own Question
Lawdoctor, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1400
Experience:  22+ years legal practice including corporate, business, criminal, entertainment and litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lawdoctor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i was convicted of serius mistameaner assalt in 1991 can i

Customer Question

i was convicted of serius mistameaner assalt in 1991 can i get a pardon from the gov. of iowa have had no other arrests since
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your question.

Your question is very important to me, but please remember that I can only respond to the information you provide and I do not know your entire situation. My response is limited to what you have written to me and the answer may change with additional facts.

Also, due to site reasons, there are times I am initially only able to see a portion of post, so I apologize in advance if it means that you have to duplicate information.

There may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. Now, let’s address your question!

If you did not have a conviction you could apply for an expungement. Here are the requirements for an expungement?

1. A person who was acquitted or whose criminal charges are dismissed. Persons acquitted or dismissed by reason of insanity and records of adjudications of mental incompetence to stand trial in cases in which physical or mental injury or an attempt to commit physical or mental injury occurred are not eligible. Iowa Statutes § 692.17.
2. A juvenile who has reached twenty-one years of age, unless the juvenile was convicted of or pled guilty to a serious or aggravated misdemeanor or felony between age eighteen and age twenty-one. Iowa Statutes § 692.17.
3. Upon discharge from probation, a person whose judgment has been deferred under section 907.3. Iowa Statutes § 907.9.
4. After two years from the of conviction of public intoxication, a person who has had no other criminal convictions, other than simple misdemeanor violations of chapter 321 during the two-year period. Iowa Statutes § 123.46.


A pardon by the Governor restores your civil rights. Here is a link to the application:


here is a link to free forms and more information on a pardon:


I would encourage you to have a lawyer handle this for you since it is complicated and it requires political networking as well.


I wish you the very best.



Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Good luck and Godspeed.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.
If I don’t’ answer immediately, I may be offline. If so, I will answer as soon as I come back. If I am online, I may be assisting someone else and will respond as soon as I can. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button or the orange accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Bonuses are gladly accepted. Thank you and good luck!

Please remember that we have not created an attorney-client relationship, and that my post is not intended to be specific legal advice. The answers given are limited to the information you have provided in your post. For specific legal advice, please consult with an attorney licensed in your state.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the states of Florida and Mississippi. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.