MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

I was a 52-year Professor at Univ of Iowa with disability insurance

I was a 52-year Professor at Univ of Iowa with disability insurance from Principal Insurance. I started getting panic attacks in class, there was depression, OCD. So I got disability income after some struggle and attorneys. Recently I received a lump sum disability benefit from Principal ($124,000) and a monthly payment ($8000), both after-tax.

In the meanwhile, my wife decided to divorce me, grabbed hold of our newly set up joint restaurant (investment $100,000 retirement money) by getting a no-contact order and lying to the banker and credit card company. With the landlord's help (who took less than total rent of $4000) plus borrowings from suppliers, even employees, she continued to run it until now. The restaurant owes a ton of money. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I never participated, she is going to declare bankruptcy.

Now the landlord is suing us for $61,000 unpaid rents, etc. The truth is it is a set up to make me pay.

Question: Can they take my disability money?
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the post, no they cannot claim your disability funds as part of the rent claimed as owed. Iowa exempts disability settlement/payment from seizure or garnishment by creditors. Iowa Revised Code 627.6(8)(a)