How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was questioned by police and they siezed his 22 rifle

Resolved Question:

My son was questioned by police and they siezed his 22 rifle that was sitting on the seat of the car. After questioning he was released, but they have refused to give his gun back to him. The gun is new and probably fired 20 times. Is it legal for them to refuse to give it back? It has been over a week now and he has asked several times. They say, need a reciept, need a bill of sale...all have been provided and they still have not returned it. What options do we have?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
They have a right to hold the weapon until he proves ownership of the weapon. They will not release it to him without the proof of ownership. When officers stop suspects with weapons, depending on the reason for the stop they have a right to seize weapons and hold them for proof of ownership. At this point your only real recourse is to provide that proof of ownership.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He has provided the sales receipt...what more is there?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
The sales receipt should be sufficient. If they still will not release it then his recourse is to file a petition in the court for release of the property. He can also file a complaint with the Department's internal affairs division.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you