How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steinlaw Your Own Question
Steinlaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1811
Experience:  8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Steinlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

someone was sending me harrasing e-mails to my work account.

Customer Question

someone was sending me harrasing e-mails to my work account. I did not know who that was. I then started receiving harrasing messages on facebook. I ignored all of them. I responded only to two, asked who that was.

My friends recently received messages about me. It affects my credibility and reputation. I finally put the puzzle together and it appears to be my ex husband.

QUESTION: what kind of lawsuit can I file and what court? please refer me to an attorney.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you have put all of the information in your question. Also, due to site reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. Also, there may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...

You do have a case. First, this is harassment. You can and should take out a civil restraining order. Second, this is intentional infliction of emotional distress. This would entitle you to damanges plus punitive damages. You could also recover attorney fees.

You should look for a trial lawyer. There are some good ones listed at or at

Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer. By requesting this information, you expressly agree to the following: The information given is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. The nominal price you may or may not pay for information does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and signed fee agreement, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular rights and needs. My answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up with an attorney licensed in your state. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also am licensed to practice only in California, which may not be the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much. This was helpful but can I ask a couple more questions? If so, will I be charged again?
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
You can ask follow up questions. You are not charged until you click accept.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.


when you are saying that it will entitle me to damages and to punitive damages. What do you mean by this?


could you please explain the difference between damages and the punitivee damages?

also, I my suspect is my ex husband and there is an indictment for that. He had obviosly violated that too.



Shall I go to a family/civil attorneys?


What is the measurement for damages?


Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
You are entitled to damages. So actual damages would be things like costs incurred to protect your reputation, doctor copays if you had anxiety attacks, etc... Punitive damages are designed to punish the person who did this. These are damages to prevent him from doing this in the future.

You want a civil trial attorney. Damages vary and the attorney would need to see all of the specific comments to advise you on damages.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

what is the punishment for punitive damages?

Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
Its paying you some amount of money that the jury decides would deter him or punish him. It is usually some multiple of your actual damages under 10. So if your damages are $10,000, the punitive damages are usually somewhere between 1 and 9 times that amount.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

how long does it take for this type of lawsuit?

how often people settle this through mediation?

Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
It usually takes 12 to 24 months to resolve a case like this. Mediation is an option after you file your lawsuit.
Steinlaw and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thank you very much! You were very helpful!


Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome. If you have questions in the future, you can start with me "For Steinlaw........"