How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 56556
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello- We received a letter today from a attorney representing

Customer Question

We received a letter today from a attorney representing our morgage company stating we need to pay off the full amount of our mortgage (236k) otherwise he will start the foreclosure process on us. We are 4 months behind...but are back on track now...we were both laid off last year but now have good jobs. Unfortunetly we have nobody to borrow the money from, we thought we could use our income tax, but this year we didnt have enough taken out, because we needed the extra money to make our payments. Would they really take our house, especially in today's tough market??? Should we contact the mortgage company or the attorney?
We live in CT
Thank you-
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
You should contact the lawyer first and confirm with the lender too. The lender can call the loan due in full normally if you fall behind per the terms of the loan so you need to negotiate preferably through a lawyer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Im sorry but $18.00 is a lot to us right now...I would like some more info... this letter was not sent "certified" also we spoke to the mortgage company & they said they would work with us...this nall seems so can we afford an attorney, at this point?? I've read about goverment bail-outs for consumers due to the economy, are these legitimnate?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
You need to check the loan and see if notice was sent correctly. If it did, your recourse is to negotiate with lender. A court wont foreclose on you if you are current.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what about those goverment bailouts you see advertised everywhere????
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
The only option here is negotiation with the lender. The government has not canceled loans.

Related Legal Questions