Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

What can I do if I am being harassed at work My boss berates

What can I do if I am being harassed at work? My boss berates me infront of co-workers with comments about my clothing and haircuts. He has bullied me into doing unethical things for his personal gain.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Exactly how does he berate you?

What type of unethical things have you been forced to do?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He was making comments.....I walk in a conference room of people and he would say things like...nice hair cut did you get that at supercuts....or whats the matter cant you afford any new clothes.
I am not required in my job to do any type of public speaking. I am petrified of public speaking...panic attack....turn beat red....he bullied me to get up and give this speech. He said he would give me 2 comp days. Bullying me telling me I wouldnt go anywhere in this company if I didnt. Im a single parent. I cant afford to lose my job. I went to a hypnotist before getting up infront of the dept. I got up there and I did pretty good. Next morning I walked in conference room and he said ok everyone lets rate kim 1-10 to see if she deserves those comp days. So around the room they went poking fun at my errors. When it came back around to him he said Well guess you dont get the comp days.

He bullied myself and another coworker into making phone calls to unemployment for a friend of his that worked for the company. Pretending to be this girl. So he could get her unemployment for her while she was in rehab.
He also had myself and another worker go to his wifes studio on work time to do a "survey " of work that needed to be done. And offered comp time if we did the work on weekend for him.
Good grief, I am very sorry to hear that you are in this type of a situation.

To better assist you, can you tell me how large the company is, approximately? Is it more than 50 employees?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
700 employees--There are different offices across the country Im not sure if that matters. In my office there is 300+
Then you have tons of options available to you, thankfully.

It sounds like a very poisonous atmosphere. Here is how you fight it.

1. Contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) in your area and file a grievance against the company. Base the grievance on hostile work environment, discrimination, retaliation, and possible gender discrimination also. The EEOC will investigate your claims. Should they fight cause, you will be given a "right to sue" letter that will allow you to contact an attorney and sue them for work harassment as well as all the humiliation that you suffered.

2. Your other option is to contact the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD) and have them investigate your claims. They are the state version of the EEOC, which is a federal commission. Here is the link to their information.

http://www.mass.gov/mcad/index.html

Good luck.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 2/28/2010 at 1:04 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What does the "right to sue" give me the right to do? The thing is my company knows I dont have $$ for a lawyer. Or to lose my job.
The "right to sue" gives you exactly that right, the right to get your own private attorney and file suit against them. While the majority of discrimination attorneys are hourly pay, quite a few do it on "contingency", meaning that they will only get paid if they win. In addition, if the complaint is egregious enough (which sounds like this one is), they can request attorney's fees as part of their suit on your behalf.

If you are looking for an attorney, consider browsing the listings at www.avvo.com and www.martindale.com. there, you can search by location, fees, experience, and expertise, and you will also be able to review past client testimonials also.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Dimitry Alexander Kaplun on 2/28/2010 at 1:13 AM EST