How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawmoe Your Own Question
Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2415
Experience:  Lawyer with 19 years of litigation experience in state and federal court systems.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lawmoe is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have been charged with child abuse the local dhs office has

Resolved Question:

i have been charged with child abuse the local dhs office has founded (confirmed and placed ) the alligations they have now started started threatining my girlfriend and her son saying that the boy can have no contact with me until further notice or they could take him away from her this is not the child that the supposed abuse was to have occured with i plan to file an appeal due to several inconsistancies in the report and information that i provided the dhs investigator and police investigater being left out of the report i dont feel it was properly evaluated but can they target my friends and family when i havnt been charged with anything all there has been done so far is the local dhs office has said they feal that my conduct was inproper no criminal charges as of yet
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lawmoe replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately, the child protection offices have a great deal of power. They will institute an action, or at least threaten to do so, against your girlfriend if she allows contact. It puts her in a precarious position of being dragged into the system if she allows contact.


Your remedy is an administrative appeal challenging the finding. At the initial level, it is generally a paper review where they simply look at the documents of the investigating worker. If that fails to produce a result, you seek another appeal resulting in an administrative hearing where evidence can be presented before am Administrative law Judge.


The appeal is important since the finding alone may disqualify you form many licenses, working in health care or other fields. The documents you received should include instructions as to how you may challenge the finding.



Lawmoe and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you