Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am uninsured and my 16 year old daughter was not aware of

Customer Question
that. She rear ended another...
I am uninsured and my 16 year old daughter was not aware of that. She rear ended another motorist. The woman is pregnant and went to MD. NO one was hurt and her car has minimal damage. My fear is my daughter will lose her license for my stupidity. Is there hope she will keep her license?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
2/27/2010
Lawyer: Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD) replied 7 years ago
Lawmoe
Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)

If insurance is required in your state, she can be cited for driving without insurance. If that occurs, she will likely lose her license. The length of the suspension depends on your state. In many states, it is 30 days. In such cases, often I have been able to negotiate resolutions where the conviction and license loss is avoided. Generally, it requires acquiring insurance and providing proof that you have it now, and paying any restitution to the other driver for any damages.

You would be wise to consult and retain a lawyer in your state.

Lawmoe
Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)
do I need to turn anything in to the DMV?

No. The officer likely asked your daughter to provide proof of insurance. If she cannot do so, she will receive a citation with a court date by mail in most cases.

police were not called the other driver took my information over the phone from me. she told me she turned it into her insurance company and thery had her file some form through the dmv.

That opens up some opportunity to avoid charges altogether. It is unfortunate that the other party reported it before you could seek resolution.

You will likely receive a notice from the DMV seeking insurance information.

so do i need to turn in a form to the dmv too? how do i avoid the charges?

No. You will be notified by mail.

PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT BELOW

thank you
Good luck to you and your daughter. I am sure it will work out.
Lawmoe
Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)
Lawmoe
Lawmoe
Lawmoe, Lawyer (JD)