How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I tapped my wifes phones which is in my name...... Is that

This answer was rated:

I tapped my wifes phones which is in my name...... Is that legal all i got was her txt messages i did not listen to calls..... Will I be able to use txt messages in court? I caught her cheating. She admitted to everything and put it all on paper.. i am sueing the guy. im hoping the judge will read what i have then ask cell provider for the rest of the messages.

North Carolina makes it a crime to intercept any oral, wire, or electronic communication unless one party consents. I strongly recommend you cease mentioning this immediately and do not indicate on any official document or correspondence that you have done this... in other words do not tell anyone that you tapped this phone. Consult a local criminal attorney immediately for assistance in avoiding prosecution.


Here is the law...


There is another way to get to the messages. When you sue her for divorce and him for alienation of affections you can order a transcript of the phone records from the cell provider. You may have to use a subpoena. Either way you should be able to obtain the text messages you want without having to use the illegally obtained copy.


Again, do not tell anyone else about this and seek counsel immediately.



Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

JD and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you