Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

If your spouse leaves the house that you both have been living

and take the children with...
If your spouse leaves the house that you both have been living and take the children with her and not allowing the other spouse to have access to them, what are the options?
The children's ages are 14 and 16 years old.
2/13/2010
JD, Lawyer

A couple of options here...

1) Sue for divorce and demand an immediate pendente lite hearing to determine temporary issues while he divorce is pending. These temporary issues should include custody, support, division of assets, and payment of marital obligations.

2) Enter a legal separation agreement that addresses the issue above. This separation agreement may stand in place while the parties consider their intent as to any potential divorce action.

Obviously you need to consult a local divorce attorney to guide you through the very complicated and important processes of protecting yourself and your access to the children.

Please reply if I can help further.

________________________

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

JD, Lawyer
JD, Lawyer