Bappelman
Bappelman, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney in Illinois and Wisconsin
11079390

I have an issue where I hired a law firm in Kansas City to

I have an issue where I hired a law firm in Kansas City to take care of a speeding ticket. I paid them back in July for this service. On Dec 14, 2009 I got a letter stating I had an unpaid speeding ticket. When I contacted the court, they informed me that my speeding ticket that I had originally hired the law firm to take care of is still unpaid, and now there is a bench warrent out for my arrest. I called the law firm a month ago, talked to an assistant and she said she would look into it and get back with me. I've called 3 times in the past month, left messages and no one will get back with me about this. I still have a bench warrent out for my arrest due to this incident. What action can I take against the law firm for not taking care of this issue? It actually aggrevates me more that they will not even give me a simple return phone call!

Thank you,

Keith
Expert:  Bappelman replied 7 years ago.

You can certainly sue this firm for their breach of your contract with them.

When you hired them you entered into a contract with them: You would pay them, and they in return, would take care of your case.

As long as you paid them the correct amount, and on time, you have an excellent breach of contract case to sue them over.

You could probably also sue them for malpractice. They likely broke a number of legal rules dealing with how clients are to be communicated with, as well as their breach of duty to you in the ticket case.

I suggest leaving them a final message indicating that you are considering filing a suit against t hem. If that does not make them call you back, go ahead and file the suit.

Good Luck!