How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31770
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father just recently died in Texas and he didnt complete

Resolved Question:

My father just recently died in Texas and he didn't complete a will. My mother has mild dementia and needs constant care. I am an only child, adopted, and I don't expect anyone to try to claim anything from my fathers estate (home that is paid off and a car to the best of my knowledge, he didn't share financials with me). Does all go to my mother automatically? How do I go about putting all into my name so that I will be able to care for her and she will become eligable for low income programs (only getting social security) thank you A. Rodriguez
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

If there was no will, the property is transferred to beneficiaries under the laws of intestate succession. This means, that you and your mother would inherit equal shares - 50/50.


You will have to file a petition to administer his estate with the probate court of the county of his residence. The court will appoint someone - probably you - as the administrator of the estate. Once the estate is opened, you can transfer property from your father's name into the names of you and your mother.


My suggestion is that you speak to an wills and estates attorney in your area about getting this done.

Roger and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you