Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Attorney
Experience:  8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney
12106879

How can I get the seller to obtain title of the Fema Trailer

How can I get the seller to obtain title of the Fema Trailer that I purchased from him and sign it over to me?
Could you explain your situation a bit more?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I purchased a Gulfstream Cavalier (used as a Fema trailer) from a salesman at a Mobile Home/RV dealership in Wiggins, MS. He said the title would come in the mail to me and that he hasn't heard of anyone having a problem titling them. We contacted the dealership after the paperwork came to us and found out that the man we purchased it from wasn't actually a dealer there. He was a friend of the dealer and allowed to sell Fema trailers there. The document we received was a Certificate to Obtain Titile in the seller's name. Wouldn't he obtain title first and then sign the title over to us? When we finally located the seller he told us that he couldn't get it titled. Are you able to title a Fema trailer? Why would the government send him a certificate to obtain title if he couldn't get it titled? Thank you for your time.
Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you have put all of the information in your question. Also, due to site reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. Also, there may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...

This is odd. The dealer committed fraud by not telling you that this guy who was selling from their lot was not a dealer there. So, you have a few options:

1. You can file a lawsuit for quiet title. This will get a court to order that you are the legal owner.
2. You can sue the daler for fraud and the seller. He should have disclosed he was not the dealer and that he could not get it titled. The dealer should have disclosed that he was not working for them.
3. You sue the seller for breach of contract. He sold something to which he did not have free and clear title.

Those are your best options.

Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer. By requesting this information, you expressly agree to the following: The information given is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. The nominal price you may or may not pay for information does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and signed fee agreement, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular rights and needs. My answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up with an attorney licensed in your state. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also am licensed to practice only in California, which may not be the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites.