Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

do the police do a investagation on somebody using somebodys

Customer Question
do the police do a...
do the police do a investagation on somebody using somebody's else credit card if you found it and use it a couple times for about $150.00 dollars worth of merchandise and then throw it away.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/1/2010
Lawyer: Joseph, Attorney replied 7 years ago
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney

I'm a licensed criminal attorney and I believe I can provide some assistance. Before beginning, please provide some additional details on what took place.

Thank you!

i found a credit card and used to purchase about $200.00 dollars worth of stuff.The kid who took the card to make my purchase a cashier saw me again called the police.The police said i had no warrents but took my drivers license and my info to give to the investigator incharge of my case.The ploice ask me if i used somebody's else's credit card to buy shirts at this golf pro shop.I said no of course and he let me go because the case is still under investagation.BotXXXXX XXXXXne are my in trouble because i went back to the same pro shop the next week and the cashier saw me and called the ploice.

Yes, you certainly could be in trouble here. It's difficult to state what the police will do here, but it seems likely that they will investigate, determine that you had possession of the credit card and made a purchase with that card. If so, this constitutes theft.

In Florida, due to the relatively low amount, you would likely be charged with a misdemeanor theft. Assuming you have little to no criminal history, the "worst case" result is probably probation and fines. If the prosecutor is reasonable, you may be able to o even better than that.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Joseph
Joseph, Attorney
Joseph
Joseph
Joseph, Attorney