How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steinlaw Your Own Question
Steinlaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1811
Experience:  8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Steinlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 1998 my firearms ID card and guns were taken by Sayreville

Resolved Question:

In 1998 my firearms ID card and guns were taken by Sayreville NJ police because of a restraining order filed my ex-wife. There was no arrest or any type of court proceedings because there was no basis for the order other than I changed the locks on the doors and would not let her into the house. Now I would like to get another firearms ID card. How do I go about legally doing that?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
Has the restraining order expired?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. At some point, I don't remember the exact date, I was told I could go to a hearing to have my guns and card returned. This was quite a few years back. At the time I had no interest in doing that. Now I just want to get the ID card or a new one.
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you have put all of the information in your question. Also, due to site reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. Also, there may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...

First, go check the court file. It may have been given back to you at that point. The normal process would be that the restraining order would be lifted and your gun card would be returned to you. Check to see if there is an order doing that. Then bring that back to the police and you should get it back.

If that does not work, file a motion with the judge to get it back. You will explain that the restraining order was lifted and the judge will give you an order giving it back. You then bring that to the police and get it back.

But start with step one since that should be what happened.

Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer. By requesting this information, you expressly agree to the following: The information given is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. The nominal price you may or may not pay for information does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and signed fee agreement, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular rights and needs. My answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up with an attorney licensed in your state. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also am licensed to practice only in California, which may not be the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites.
Steinlaw and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you